Central Office Technician
Company: American Broadband
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Position Purpose/SummaryThe Central Office Technician is committed
to providing the highest quality of service to the communities,
customers, and employees we serve by installing, programming,
testing, maintenance and repair of central office equipment,
transmission systems, and special circuits.Primary Duties &
- Uses company equipment, computer programs and applications, as
- Performs central office administrative duties to include
maintaining records, completing specialized reports, preparing
logs, processing complex orders and trouble reports, as
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and schematic
- Keep current with industry technology.
- Learn IT functions and enhanced telecommunications
- Demonstrates the technical skills and understanding necessary
to perform the installation, operation, maintenance, testing and
provisioning of all central office switching and transmission
equipment from various manufacturers.
- Understands trunk signaling protocols, CO routing, screening
(such as Class, NLH, etc.), trunk and line level/impairment
specifications and tests.
- Installs, tests, maintains, and repairs advanced
telecommunication services, such as, but not limited to, FTTP/FTTH,
DOCSIS, VDSL, T1/PRI, and VOIP.
- Has a basic understanding and performs the installation,
operation, maintenance, testing, provisioning and repair of Wide
Area Network equipment, protocols, and services.
- Performs basic installation, testing, maintenance, and repairs
of carrier equipment/Cable Television headend equipment, such as,
but not limited to, receivers, video ciphers, modulators, and
- If applicable, installs, operates, tests, maintains and repairs
radio systems, such as, but not limited to microwave, UFH, VFH and
BETRS where applicable.
- Receives trouble tickets and troubleshoots malfunctioning
telecommunication services using computer applications, testing
devices such as meters and analyzers, to locate and diagnose the
nature of the problem.
- Performs and interprets extensive diagnostic tests on digital
- Operate as a technical support to aid in resolving complex
issues for internal employees.
- Reads and understands industry standards and group documents,
such as, but not limited to, Bell core, NECA, USTA and ITU.
- Reads and understands manufacturers' schematics and
documentation, industry standards and group documents, such as, but
not limited to, Telcordia, NCTA, IETF, NECA and ITU.
- Follow procedures for company buildings and grounds.
- Understanding of how all company departments contribute to the
success of the organization and referring customers and employees
to the appropriate department to best fulfill their needs.
- Building and maintaining a good rapport and cooperative
relationship with the customers and co-workers while taking
ownership of responsibilities and being accountable for his/her own
- Being an advocate for company programs and special events while
taking initiative to participate in and volunteering readily when
- Performing all other duties and responsibilities, as
assigned.Knowledge, Abilities, & Skills for Success
- Effectively communicate in a positive and professional manner
through written and verbal communications in all interfaces with
customers/public, fellow employees, and vendors.
- Ability to use appropriate computer programs (including, but
not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite) which includes having
proficient computer skills and the ability to adapt and learn as
programs and processes change.
- Ability to work as a team member and exert initiative to work
independently to reach a goal.
- Ability to embrace change in the workplace while encouraging
others to seek innovative approaches.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Knowledge of and the ability to comply with Company's Customer
Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) regulations and
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule, as needed, to best
serve our customers.QualificationsAt a minimum, the Central Office
Technician must have a associates degree in a related field of
study along with 4+ years of related work experience in maintaining
switches, routers, fiber optic cables, and other equipment at
switching hubs or central offices and a valid driver's license. A
bachelor's degree a related field of study along with 2-years of
related work experience in maintaining switches, routers, fiber
optic cables, and other equipment at switching hubs or central
offices and a valid driver's license is preferred. Preference of
experience with hosted PBX and SIP networking. Preferred, but not
required, knowledge of Meta Switch, Calix, Adtran, BTI and
Infinera.Physical Demands Select one the following for the each of
the items listed below:
- N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this
- O (Occasionally) - Occupation requires this activity up to 33%
of the time or 0 - 2.5+ hours/day.
- F (Frequently) - Occupation requires this activity from 33%-66%
of the time or 2.5-5.5+ hours/day.
- C (Constantly) - Occupation requires this activity more than
66% of the time or 5.5+ hours/day. Standing N O F C Walking N O F C
Sitting N O F C Reach Outward N O F C Reach Above Shoulder N O F C
Climbing N O F C Crawling N O F C Squatting/Kneeling N O F C
Bending N O F C Keyboarding N O F C Driving N O F C Hearing N O F C
Perceiving N O F C Communicating N O F C Distinguish Colors N O F C
Outdoor Climate N O F C Various Terrain N O F C Cramped Workspace N
O F C Lift/Carry: Up to 10 lbs N O F C Up to 20 lbs N O F C Up to
50 lbs N O F C Up to 75 lbs N O F C Up to 100 lbs N O F C 100+ lbs
N O F C Push/Pull: Up to 10 lbs N O F C Up to 20 lbs N O F C Up to
50 lbs N O F C Up to 75 lbs N O F C Up to 100 lbs N O F C 100+ lbs
N O F C DisclosureThe Company has reviewed this job description to
ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been
included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations
and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is
not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional
functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed
appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of
employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job
description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the
Company may deem appropriate. American Broadband Holding Company,
dba Fastwyre Broadband, is an equal opportunity employer. We
celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive
environment for all employees.
Keywords: American Broadband, Springfield , Central Office Technician, Professions , Nevada, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!