Nurse Practitioner - PPV
Location: Mountain Grove
Posted on: January 26, 2023
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible for modeling the 3 Company
values of Compassion, Integrity, and Excellence, and for promoting
the Compassus philosophy, using the 6 Pillars of success as the
foundation. S/he is responsible for upholding the Code of Ethical
Conduct and for promoting positive working relationships within the
Company, among all departments, and all external stakeholders. The
Nurse Practitioner, if providing palliative care, cares for
patients facing chronic, complex, and/or life-threatening
conditions at various locations within the flow of patient care.
S/he provides assessments, disease and treatment education, and
symptom management to meet the needs to palliative care patients
and their families. The Nurse Practitioner helps the patient and
family maintain their maximum level of comfort and coping. S/he
provides care and support in collaboration with the PCP and
specialists; and ensures compliance with practice standards and
codes. S/he must collaborate appropriately with the assigned
Compassus Medical Director. S/he must flex schedule to meet agency
needs. S/he is responsible for applying the rules and regulations
of state and federal regulatory agencies and other certified
agencies.The Nurse Practitioner, if providing hospice care,
functions as an extension of the IDT and hospice physician to
provide routine recertification and emergency assessments,
educational, and evaluative services to meet the needs of patients
and their families. S/he helps the patient and family maintain
their maximum level of comfort and coping. S/he flexes schedule to
meet agency visit needs and may be asked to provide after-hours
emergency visits and/ or admissions. S/he is responsible for
applying the rules and regulations of state and federal regulatory
agencies and other certified agencies.
Position Specific Responsibilities
If providing Palliative Care
Performs routine and urgent assessments:
- Consistent communication of availability to manager.
- A minimum of 4 days of availability per month is required,
however a minimum number of visits per month is not guaranteed to
the PPV NP.
- Ability to triage consults by patient acuity.
- Performs bedside palliative care with patient/family
- Orders, performs, and interprets laboratory and radiology tests
within scope of professional practice.
- Prescribes medications including controlled substances to the
extent delegated and licensed.
- Orders treatments and durable medical equipment as
- Performs other therapeutic measures as indicated.
- Consults with palliative care physician or designees as needed,
informs primary physician of services provided and collaborate with
other physicians as needed.
- Assists in all facets of care coordination for palliative care
- Prepares and maintains accurate patient records, charts, and
documents to support sound medical practice and reimbursement for
- Complies with applicable laws and regulations with respect to
- Completes accurate billing and coding activities for all
patient encounters according to CMS guidelines.
- Defines goals for professional growth and participates actively
in professional activities and organizations.
- Engages in active and frequent self-care activities for
personal and professional growth and longevity.
- Adheres to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients,
families, staff and the Organization.
- Assists patients and families in identification of goals of
treatment and ongoing plans of care at every visit. Communicates
these goals among Interdisciplinary Team (IDT).
Collaborates/Communicates with Medical Director, Attending
Physician, Hospital Staff and IDT:
- Participates in monthly IDT meeting with market team.
- Collaborates/ Communicates with IDT needs of patient for
clinical and psycho-social interventions.
- Assists in identifying the need for intervention of other IDT
- Effectively communicates patient and family needs to
- Completes and submits required clinical documentation within 24
hours of visit completion.
Educates patient and caregiver regarding:
- Care of patient.
- Disease process.
- Goal setting.
- Symptom control.
- Treatment options.
- Advance Care Planning.
- Supervises nurse trainees, including graduate and advance
practice nurses in field placements.
- Participates in supervision of other trainees, including
medical students, residents, fellows, and social work and
If providing Hospice Face to Face Visits
Performs routine and emergency assessments:
- Completes routine and emergency recertification visits on each
patient entering their 3rd benefit period or beyond (including
admissions and transfers).
- Records observations, treatments, and other pertinent
- Communicates with Medical Director, Attending Physician, DCS
and IDT as directed regarding findings from the visits and any
measures to alleviate symptoms.
- Provides physical and emotional care to support the patient and
family in period of crisis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Master's degree, or higher, in Nursing required.
- Minimum of five (5) years nursing experience required; clinical
nursing care in oncology, hospice, geriatrics, intensive care
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and
decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general
business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures,
or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively
present information and respond to questions from leaders,
colleagues, investors, and external parties. Strong written and
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to understand, read, write, and
speak English. Articulates and embraces hospice philosophy. Strong
organizational and time management skills. Must be able to work a
flexible schedule to include nights and weekends. Must be able to
travel. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information, such as
patient and Company files.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
- Active and unencumbered CNS or Nurse Practitioner license in
state of employment required.
- Certified as a Nurse Practitioner in Adult, Family, Acute, or
- Active NPI number.
- Maintain active DEA certification if state allows prescription
of controlled substances by APPs.
- Board Certification in Hospice and Palliative Care is
preferred, but not required.
All states except Iowa: Current collaborative physician agreement
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands
described here are representative of those that must be met by a
colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While
performing the duties of this job, the colleague is regularly
required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk and hear.
The colleague frequently is required to stand, sit, and reach with
hands and arms. The colleague is occasionally required to walk;
climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or
smell. The colleague must frequently lift and/or move more than 50
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision. The work environment characteristics described here
are representative of those a colleague encounters while performing
the essential functions of this job. There will be possible
exposure to infectious diseases through working with clinical
caregivers. The noise level in the work environment is usually
At Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, diversity,
equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our Pillars of Success. We
are committed to creating a fair work environment where our
colleagues feel welcomed, highly valued, and respected. As an equal
opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
Estimated salary range $80000 - $121140 / year. Actual salary will
vary by geographic location and experience.
Keywords: Compassus, Springfield , Nurse Practitioner - PPV, Healthcare , Mountain Grove, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!