Hospice Director Clinical Services - Registered Nurse license required
Posted on: April 10, 2021
"The most rewarding thing is when you get a call back from a
patient or family member saying that the nurse was wonderful and
helped them through the process."
- Nicole, Hospice Director of Clinical Services
At Compassus, we are dedicated to compassionate care, clinical
excellence and providing comfort and support to patients and their
families facing the end of life. As the Hospice Director of
Clinical Services you will lead a team of Interdisciplinary
professionals who are taking care of patients at the bedside every
day. You will coach, influence and mentor your team to strive for
excellence in service and quality. For many of our team members,
this is more than a career - it's a calling.
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of others? Join our
team today as the Hospice Director of Clinical Services to
positively impact the experiences of our patients and families.
Position Summary As the Hospice Director of Clinical Services
(DCS), you will direct and lead the Interdisciplinary team, helping
to meet the needs of the hospice patient and family in a manner
consistent with the guidelines and policies of Compassus. Your team
consists of Nurses, Nurse Aides, Social Workers, Spiritual Care
Providers, a Volunteer Coordinator, a Bereavement Coordinator, a
Team Coordinator, and many other support functions to create a
fulfilling experience for our patients and their families. You will
be the hub for communication regarding patient care and will
promote a positive working relationship with the family, physician,
and others involved in their care.
- Directly supervises up to 20 colleagues. Responsibilities
include interviewing, hiring, training and terminating (with
administrative approval) all interdisciplinary staff; planning,
assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding
and disciplining colleagues; addressing complaints and resolving
- Reads and incorporates into practice the requirements of the
Hospice Conditions of Participation for Medicare, applicable
accreditation standards, and state or other rules and regulations
as applicable to the program.
- Oversees the consultative process between the Medical Director
and the members of the Interdisciplinary Team (IDT), assists in
requesting appropriate care orders and attendance to identified
patient needs if patient's attending physician is not
- Attends/Leads Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) meetings, ensuring:
- Patient care needs are identified and discussed with the full
complement of the IDT.
- All required members of the core team are present and engaged
in the IDT meeting.
- Required documentation is completed during and at the
conclusion of the IDT meeting to capture the discussion and
outcomes of the meeting.
- Patient re-certifications are discussed and completed in a
- Documentation of the patient-centered plan of care and the
implementation of interventions for patient care including changes
in level of care, medication changes, changes to visit frequency,
or need for emergency transportation.
- Participates in the development and update of patient care
policies and emergency procedures.
- Ensures hospice services are available 24/7.
- Follows state regulatory requirements for supervision of
- Manages all members of the IDT including aspects of scheduling,
productivity, mentoring, pay practices, time keeping, performance
reviews, and colleague support.
- Models desired behaviors including timeliness, punctuality,
attendance, collaboration, open communication, and equitable
- Documents in the patient's clinical record when required;
demonstrates proficiency with documentation requirements.
- Actively collaborates regarding QAPI activities and provides
feedback and input into Performance Improvement.
- Participates in performance improvement programs.
- Promotes hospice philosophy.
- Upholds a personal philosophy of integrity and commitment;
communicates proactively when schedule changes are needed.
- Analyzes and reports on quality metrics including Hospice Item
Set, CAHPS, and symptom management outcomes.
- Establishes departmental goals consistent with corporate goals
- Supervises patient and family care as specified by the plan of
care, assessing appropriateness, continuity, service, and quality
- Models and facilitates communication between colleagues
including medical records, business office, intake, clinical team,
- Participates in care delivery for patients as needed including
conducting admissions, recertification visits, routine visits, and
- Manages the care for a caseload of patients if needed to
support ebb and flow of census changes.
- Participates in after-hours shifts as needed including primary
and back-up on-call.
- Serves as the administrator on call when scheduled.
- Make and/or delegate post-admissions calls.
- Directs responsibility for the management of Pharmacy, Medical
Supplies, Durable Medical Equipment, Mileage and Labor for program
to meet budget expectations.
- May be designated the administrator or alternate administrator
for the licensure of the program based on state requirements.
- Ensures maximum utilization of resources.
- Promotes a positive and collaborative culture.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS To perform this job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience Registered Nurse with minimum of three
years in Healthcare required, preferably in Nursing Facility, Home
Health or Hospice setting. Bachelor's degree strongly preferred.
BSN a plus. Experience in leadership or management strongly
preferred. Experience with Electronic Medical Record systems a
Mathematical Skills Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and
decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
Language Skills Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general
business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures,
or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively
present information and respond to questions from groups of
managers, patients, colleagues, physicians and the general public.
Must be able to read, write and speak English. Bilingual ability
may be preferred or required.
Reasoning Ability Ability to define problems, collect data,
establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret
an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with
several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to think
critically and perform continuous in-depth clinical/business
Computer Skills To perform this job successfully an individual
should be proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
Other Qualifications Understanding and acceptance of hospice
philosophy. Must be of high integrity including maintenance of
confidential information including all personnel and patient
records. Ability to work a flexible schedule, to include some
evenings and weekends. Must be able to travel.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations Must be a Registered
Nurse licensed in the state of employment. Certification in Hospice
and Palliative Nursing a plus but not required. Must have a valid
driver's license and auto liability insurance.
Other Skills and Abilities Strong leadership, organizational and
Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, complies with
applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on
the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, does not exclude
people or treat them differently because of race, color, national
origin, age, disability, or sex.
Keywords: Compassus, Springfield , Hospice Director Clinical Services - Registered Nurse license required, Healthcare , Monett, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!